"The Light Remains" by Samantha H Banfield-Keller

This book has passages of beautifully written descriptions of nature, the landscape and the atmosphere. I found myself slightly confused by the structure of the initial first person narration by Eve in the future and then the switch to the author telling the story. I liked the scenes set on the Farm in the earlier parts of the book and the childlike innocence depicted. I could not have anticipated the story and its twists. It made me think about the uncertainty of life and that nothing can be taken for granted. However I did feel that I wanted more depth to the characters, it felt as though a lot happened in a short space of time and it made me feel unconnected from the characters. There are references to the racial tension and apartheid but the main focus of the book is about family. I gave it 3 stars out of 5. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/238377146-the-light-remains I was gifted a complimentary copy by Netgalley in return for an objective review.

Comments

Popular Posts