"Mom Brain" by Nicole Hackett

I found the premise of this book intriguing. I think the title somehow made me think that it would be more light hearted than I found it to be. The story is interesting although segmented into three parts which I found a little off putting as I didn't really understand the need for it. The story continues throughout but in different locations. There are definitely some twists and the book kept me entertained. However I did not feel myself really wanting to read it. I think for me, all the characters need some more definition and detail. I didn't particularly feel anything for any of them. There are moments of tension and I did wonder continually what was going to happen but without any real emotion. However the actual concept of being able to modify the brain of a mother made me think about the use of "medication" for other neurological conditions and whether we should be questioning these more. Overall a reasonable read and made me reflect on motherhood and society's view of women. 3 stars out of 5. I was given a complimentary copy of this book by Netgalley in return for an objective review.

Comments

Popular Posts